Sunday, January 29, 2012

Missing Assignments

Several students are not turning in their assignments, which is affecting their grades.  Please keep up with PowerSchool and check that grades are not zeros.  If there is a zero for an assignment, your child did not complete that assignment. 

When hunting down assignments, two excuses I get immediately are: 
  • "I turned that in!" and
  • "I never got that I was absent, remember?"
After asking the student to check his or her desk or the pile of assignments, the first excuse is usually proven incorrect.  

When absent, students receive their assignments in a pile on their desks.  It is the students responsibility to complete the assignments.  Also, if you child is absent, have them lookup the their homework on my website.  I am usually good about list the assignments on this site.  For you, as a parent, never except the phrase, "It's finished and I already turned it into Mr. Gibson."  This is false.  If it's homework, then it is to go home with the student.  I don't except homework turned in early.  If I notice it turned in early, I talk to that student. 

Lastly, if your child is missing an assignment, they can pick up another from my red folder entitled Extra Worksheets.  Some students need to start taking more responsiblity for their assignments, and I cannot keep them in for recess to finish the assignment.  So, for students that repeatedly forget to turn assignments in on-time, I will be issuing Friday school detentions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment